Monday, May 24, 2010

Midnight Moves In

After Scarlett and Kitty left us I was not really interested in having new cats in my life, at least for a while.  For one thing, our lives changed drastically.  Our daughter was nearly grown, and I decided to go into my family business for a while.

My mother was a bail bond agent and had her own agency, plus she opened a little newsstand in the office where I worked there for a bit.  Eventually that proved not to be a great idea, so the offices reverted to bail bonds only and I took the tests from the state Insurance Commissioner and got my bail license.

Being a bail agent is a very demanding job which keeps you out of the home and occasionally on the street looking for your forgetful clients.  There was little time in my life for much else.  Things continued on this path for a good while, but our lives were about to take another couple of turns that no one saw coming.

The most significant of those changes was the birth of a beautiful baby boy into the family!  He was born 3 days before my 40th birthday and I always say he was the best birthday present ever!  Then, when the Boy was around 2 years old, my husband received a very good job promotion which included a move to Atlanta, GA from our Indianapolis home.  The move was a mixed bag.  It was great living in the South for many reasons, weather being a really big plus, but it also meant leaving all our family behind, which was a very sad side effect. 


Things went very well for us until our son started school, then I found myself  kind of lost.  He was also suffering some loneliness issues, missing family a great deal, so we decided to add a pet to our family.  One day while shopping at the mall I saw a sign on the window of the pet store, "Black Kittens, $20.00".  This store was very good about taking in litters of kittens, giving them their first shots and so on, then selling them for a small fee.  The $20.00 price tag was about half the normal price so I figured they must have quite a selection of kittens.  That plus the fact that I love black cats got me to go look, and sure enough, there was probably a dozen little kittens in the shop and about half of them black.  After spending a good deal of time holding the kittens, one by one, my son finally decided on one of a pair of twins.  He was from a litter of 4, two solid black and 2 solid blue gray.  I wanted all of them, of course, but my husband was the voice of reason.  One kitten it was.  Midnight was 7 weeks old when he came home.

I had been purchasing cat items over the past weeks, so bringing Midnight home was easy.  All I needed was food, which we were able to get at the shop, and we were set.  Off we went to the car, drove the short distance to home with Midnight gripping my son's shirt and mewing like mad all the way and both he and I trying to comfort him.  When we got home and sat him down, he went as straight as he could walk to the refrigerator and plopped down to stare at the door.  I guess that wherever he came from, the refrigerator had been a favorite place.

After a few days, Midnight was completely in charge of the household, or so he thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment