Monday, April 26, 2010

Newsflash - I'll Show you!

Since the subject of this blog is what it is, my life with cats, I will be interrupting the story from time to time for things that happen that I feel are interesting or funny.   Last night was a gem of a story, for sure.

Midnight and Smokie are both on a liquid Glucosamine dose daily.  In order to get them to take it, I have been mixing it in to a very tasty canned food that I get at the pet store just for this purpose.  This is the only time they get anything like this food and they both look forward to the evening dosage with great anticipation.

Around sundown, they both start following me around, Smokie being more then nag, meowing constantly and Midnight patting my arm every few minutes.  When I get up and head to the kitchen it is total pandemonium in our cats world until the food is opened, mixed and down in the individual serving dishes for them.  Then all you hear from them is a lot of lip smacking and lapping sound as they devour this 2 teaspoon treat.

Midnight is the older of the two by quite a bit and up until a couple of years ago, he was the alpha cat.  However, time and age has changed his determination and ability to keep his position and Smokie has been trying ever since to take over.  This causes quite a bit of squabbling and I have decided that I am the Queen of the pride and they both must bow to my authority.  This means I have to watch them quite closely when special treats are available to keep Smokie from being a bully and taking Midnight's treat by force.  Things have finally settled into a begrudging calm and Smokie does behave, but they have developed this practice of swapping bowls some nights.  Last night Smokie was not playing by the "rules".  He ate all of his food and when Midnight finished with his bowl, leaving the customary few bites to trade, he discovered only an empty bowl awaiting him on the other side of the room.  Of course Smokie was already settled in eating the last few morsels that were stuck to the side of the bowl by this time.  I was watching but decided not to interferer for the moment to see how they worked it out.  It was not that much food, really. 

Smokie had his back to Midnight and was quite consumed with the job at hand when Mid, very quietly, crept up behind him.  I watched amazed as Midnight, ever so calmly, reached out with his head, grabbed a bit of the fur on Smokie's very bushy tail, and pulled!  I couldn't believe it!  Smokie nearly jumped out of his skin, clearly not expecting anything like this to happen.  He turned around only to see Midnight running off to my bedroom, which is his safe spot.  I have had a lot of cats and more than my share of really smart ones, but I have never seen this kind of behavior in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment